Thanks to my good friend and teammate Teresa on Team Gold Country, I was reminded of this statue in front of the Roseville Library Maidu Branch. It is a sculpture by a woman named Tommie Moller with whom I actually took photography classes back in the early 90’s.If you can remember back that far. This statue was originally installed in 1992 in a concrete form. That is how I remember it. I actually thought it was quite unattractive at the time as it was painted a ghastly orange red color. But since I left Roseville, they evidently found the money to have the statue cast in bronze and reinstalled in 2002. And this is the statue Roy photographed today. Yes, my reluctant partner helped me out again today. I will draw him into this game by hook or by crook.
The statue is called Maidu Family and depicts a seated woman holding her infant with her man behind her. From the crest of the High Sierra, west to the Sacramento River and south to the Consumnes River, three groups of closely related people have inhabited the land for thousands of years. Collectively known as the Maidu, they are the Mountain Maidu of Plumas and Lassen counties, the Konkow of Butte and Yuba counties, and the Nisenan of Yuba, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento, and El Dorado counties.
I was able to trap Roy into the photo below by snapping very quickly. He did not give me permission.
Detail shot of the plaque.